Bake off is back!!
To coincide with the annual BBC Great British Bake off, Delicious Alchemy run their own Gluten Free Magic Bake Off competition to encourage all those budding bakers in the coeliac community to showcase their culinary baking skills. The competition runs via their social media pages, and there’s a weekly winner for 6 weeks, before all cakes go to public vote on facebook and the top three go forward to bake their show-stopper creations! If you fancy giving it a go, the rules and instructions can be found here
Having only been diagnosed four months ago, I thought the GFMBO would be the perfect opportunity to test out some gluten free baking and try and convince my family that gluten free cake is just as good as the non-gluten equivalent!
This week I’ve decided to go for a Raspberry & Blueberry cake, drizzled with vanilla icing – yum!!
- 250g gluten free self raising flour
- 250g softened butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 2tsb gluten free baking powder
- 4 eggs
- punnet of raspberries & blueberries
- 50g ground almonds
- icing sugar
- vanilla paste (or essence)
- Grease and line a 10inch bundt tin & pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar
- Sieve the flour into a separate bowl
- Add one egg at a time, followed by a spoon of flour after each, to the butter and sugar mix
- Once all the eggs have been added, fold in the remaining flour, ground almonds and baking powder
- Gently mix in the raspberries and blueberries
- Transfer the mix to the tin and cook for approximately 45minutes – to check if it’s cooked, insert a skewer to the middle of the cake and it should come out clean
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before turning the cake out onto a cooling tray.
- Whilst its cooling, mix the icing sugar with water and a small spoon of vanilla paste to make your icing drizzle
- Once cooled, either use a spoon or a piping bag to create your desired drizzle pattern