So I only went and won last week’s Gluten Free Magic Bake Off with Delicious Alchemy didn’t I?! So surprised, but very happy to have been picked to receive a gluten free hamper of products – Thank you D.A! Take a look here for the Blueberry and Raspberry Drizzle Cake recipe and send me some photos on twitter (@thegfredhead) if you have a go at baking one!
This week on GBBO, contestants were tasked with ‘biscuit week’ – now, I LOVE a biscuit! I was an avid digestive fan prior to diagnosis and have really missed them (I’m not able to have the gluten free digestives either due to the oats) so hunting for a good biscuit replacement has been high on the agenda on most shopping trips!
This week’s Viennese Whirls are the ultimate sweet treat – A biscuit with butter cream icing and home made jam?! What more could you want!
- 220g gluten free plain flour
- 220g butter/margarine (I used the soft Stork in a tub)
- 60g icing sugar
- Half tsp gluten free baking powder (Dr Oetker)
- Half tsp xanthum gum
- Vanilla paste/essence
- Icing – 200g icing sugar, 100g butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Line a baking tray with a baking sheet or greaseproof paper and mark out your circles so that all the biscuits are the same size. Prepare your piping bag with a star nozzle
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy
- Add in the flour, baking powder, xanthum gum and a few drops of vanilla and combine well
- Fill the piping bag with the mixture ready to make your swirls. If you haven’t got a piping bag, a spoon works fine but you will have less of a ‘ripple’ swirl pattern.
- Pipe the mixture onto the greaseproof – for each biscuit I did the swirl from the outside in. Like me, you may have to have a bit of a practice before perfecting your swirl!
- Bake in the oven for approx. 15 minutes. Make sure to keep a close eye on them as they can go from undercooked, to crunchy very quickly!
- Once cooked, leave on a cooling rack whilst you prepare the icing.
- Cream the icing and butter together to make some buttercream icing
- On half of the biscuits, spoon on the butter cream, and on the other half, spoon on the jam
- Sandwich both halves together and sprinkle some icing sugar on top for decoration