Phew, just made it in time this week before the next episode of GBBO tomorrow! Next week’s bake for pastry week is already all planned, but I have to say it took me a little while to decide what to make this week.
I’ve gone slightly against the theme criteria this week, and instead of going with batter week have stuck with dough week from last week to make some iced buns! Batter week was good, but I wasn’t very inspired by much of the bakes so I thought I would stick to making my usual sweet treats in cake form.
- 125ml milk
- 75ml water
- 500g multipurpose gluten free flour (OR, if you haven’t got a multipurpose mix, use 250g plain flour and 250g SR flour)
- 7g sachet of yeast
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 1 egg
- 1tsp salt
- Icing sugar
- Heat the milk and water (don’t let it boil) and then leave to redue temperature until lukewarm
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt, sugar and yeast
- Add the butter and milk mixture to the dry ingredients
- Mix well to form a dough
- On a floured surface, knead dough for 5-10 minutes until its smooth and elastic
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with greased cling film, and leave in a warm place to prove for an hour or until double the size
- Once risen, turn out onto a floured surface and split the mix into 12 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into either a bun or finger shape (depending on what design your going with!) and then place on a greased baking tray
- Cover again with cling film and leave to prove for a further 45 minutes
- Pre heat the over to 200 degrees, and bake the buns for 15 minutes
- Leave to cool while you prepare the icing – mix together the icing sugar with a small amount of water until smooth but not too watery
- Once the buns are cooled, ice the top and arrange the strawberries along the icing
- Leave to set for 10-15 minutes before serving